Sonntag, 25. März 2012

S/S 12 Trend: 1920s

The “Roaring Twenties” marked the return to normality afer World War I, jazz music blossomed, womanhood was redefined by the flappers and Art Deco was at its peak. Spring/Summer 2012 sees the return of this era to fashion.

col01
Left (top to bottom): Barbara Stanwyck, illustration of Chanel collection F/W 1925/1926, daytime looks illustration & Joan Crawford. Right side (top to bottom): necklace & earrings: Etro, clutch: Salvatore Ferragamo, runway: Etro, bottom row: runway: Ralph Lauren, shoes & clutch: Etro

Women were not only liberated from the corset, for the first time, women's legs were seen with hemlines rising to the knee and dresses becoming more fitted. Around 1925 skirts ended just below the knee. Ralph Lauren and Giles use this length this season

col1
Left: Ralph Lauren, right: Giles.

while John Galliano and Etro rather reference it.

col2
Left: John Galliano, right: Etro.

Low-waisted dresses with fullness at the hemline allowed women to literally kick up their heels in the new dances like the Charleston.

col3
Left: Roberto Cavalli, right: Etro.

Fashion was heavily influenced by art movements such as surrealism or cubism. Art slowly transformed from the curvilinear abstractions of art nouveau to the more mechanized and geometric shapes of art deco.

col4
Etro

Todays image of 1920s fashion is strongly influenced by the Flapper`s style, which largely emerged as a result of French fashions and its pioneer Coco Chanel. The rapid spread of jazz, and the popularization of dancing contributed to the dispersal of the new style. Flapper dresses were straight and loose, leaving the arms bare. The style made girls look young and rather boyish with short hair (like bobs), flattened breasts, and straight waists-lines.

col5
Left: Etro, right: Roberto Cavalli.

The Golden 20s” are a well-known term, which describes the economic boom following World War I and the severe economic downturns that took place between 1919–1923. It was a time of economic prosperity and new riches, that required celebrating and glamorous looks. Feathers and silk were very popular, as they are again today.

col6
Left: Ralph Lauren, right: Etro, shoes: Etro, box clutch: Salvatore Ferragamo.

The 2012 take on 1920s fashion also adds our current trends pastel colours and clutch bags to the look.

col7
Dress, clutch & pink shoes: Etro, mint shoes: Ralph Lauren.

Picture credits: Runway & accessory pictures are property of the respective brands. 1920s b/w pictures: carbonated.

How do you like this season`s return to 1920s fashion? Which elements do you like best and which will you wear yourself?

7 Kommentare:

Be Inspired! hat gesagt…

Oh, you know me by now... I love love love this coquettish stuff! Feathers, hats, hairbands... I can never get enough. I wear them on daily basis, too, really.

Heather Fonseca hat gesagt…

I think the 1920's were a beautiful time for fashion, and yet I've always preferred the 1930's. I tend to look better in fitted clothing with a bit of sleeve. I don't know that I will incorporate this look into my spring wardrobe but if I did it would probably be in the form of a pretty dress.

Joana Chaves hat gesagt…

I actually like these a lot even though I'm pretty sure I'd be mocked if I wore this around here...I love the 1920's and the low waist!



http://www.praytofashion.com

For Those About To Shop hat gesagt…

The 20s is easily my favourite decade for women's fashion. I'm a firm believer that comfort is the sexiest thing in clothing and the 20s was such an amazing era of change and liberation for women which was both reflected in and influenced by the mode of dress.

Lauren@Styleseer hat gesagt…

These 20s inspired styles are fabulous. I really like the Etro dress above.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Style and grace to perfection.

lisa hat gesagt…

Congrats on your inclusion in Links A La Mode again!! I always enjoy your features and articles!!!!

Kommentar veröffentlichen

2 3 Share
4
5